This is a place to view and discuss the short- and long-term roadmap of the restarters.net software.
It includes bigger pieces of work that require discussion as a group. Feel free to reply to this thread, however where more discussion needs to take place on a particular item, it is linked through to a separate topic. Smaller things like bug fixes are not included in this roadmap - though please do report any bugs you encounter in the Bug Reports category.
(you might also want to look at the overview of this group)
Live / open for feedback
- Registration process feedback/ideas/improvements.
- Skills feedback/ideas/improvements.
- Dashboard: feedback/ideas/improvements.
- Navigation feedback/ideas/improvements.
- View/add/edit devices feedback/ideas/improvements.
- Invitations/RSVPs (joining groups and events) feedback/ideas/improvements
- Collecting narrative stories - flagging repair comments as being suitable for wiki or chat
- Community tools integrations feedback
- Support for mobile/tablets - let us know how it works on your different devices
- Notifications Bar
- Ideas for what it would be good to have notifications on
- Impact reporting
- Repair Data Capture
- Upload of pictures of repairs
- API calls for group/event stats
- Stats and reporting
- hours volunteered. Making the section available to everyone - what is it interesting/useful for Restarters to see?
- Repair database. Open up the repair database to be visible and searchable for all users. Needs discussion how to make this useful for everyone.
- Documentation - all of the documentation needs updating.
- Improved module integrations.
- Allow setting usernames in restarters.net and sent through to Discourse. [might not be needed]
- Wiki integration: automatic account creation. Existing accounts can be logged in automatically, however new accounts need to be created manually.
- Repair Data Capture
- New fields recorded against repairs.
- A few new electronics/electricals categories
- Categories for non-electronics/non-electricals
- Review naming of some existing categories - e.g. Laptop Small, Medium, Large etc
- Better guidance on what some fields mean (e.g. spare parts)
- Group Admin
- Allow group hosts to set other members of the group as a host of their group [currently needs to be done by an Admin]
- Probably want to rearchitect this a bit - currently it is simply a way of flagging things that are in a particular state in the data. It is not dynamic in the sense of knowing if a notification has been seen, dismissed, which notifications are new, etc.
- Localisation. The software is internationalised, in that the framework is in place to incorporate other languages - we just need translations (and a good way of managing them)
- iCal feeds
- Stats and reporting
- Sharing stats on social media
- Impact embed based on group tag filters
- Recording non-event based repair (properly recording fixes from places other than community repair - schools, makerspaces, individuals)
- Favouriting repairs
- Recording skillshares in the system
- Closer integration with Repair Directory
- fleshing out what can be read via API
- events feed for groups (also filterable by group tags)
- Including critical raw materials figures in categories and impact stats
- Refresh of CO2 and weight reference data
- Involves freezing previous calculations
Long-term / needs discussion
Ideas/features that have been suggested but that need some discussion to iron out if or how they should be taken forward.
- Investigate migration from Google Maps to OpenStreetMap
- advanced registration of devices
- during event
- participants contributing data at events
- feedback from participants
- collecting narrative stories - testimonials
- Tracking devices between events/CRM/job management
Linking Restarters to individual repairs.
- gamification for Restarters
- Creates/updates/deletes via the API
- Optimised ‘live event’ view, for projection/display of repairs at events as they happen
- Skills levels
- Copy/paste/import device data
- Dashboard: Customisable per user
- suggesting where to find repair advice on particular categories
- volunteer registration during an event, which includes online sign-off of health & safety guidelines
- specific roles for nationwide organisers (e.g. Norway)
- automatic analysis of images of model/serial numbers
- online microtasking to improve data quality
- other impact stats - e.g. water, critical raw materials
- chatbot entry of repair information
- recording repairs from commercial repairers
- repairers without a group - identify areas with plenty of Restarters but no formal group
- making it easy to self-host
- making it easy to customise
- using e.g. ActivityPub/Micropub to enabled self-hosted instances to federate (events, repair data, etc)