How to repair and maintain sewing machines, 16 Feb, 7pm GMT (online skillshare)

Sewing machines are a common sight at Restart Parties, Repair Cafés and other repair events. But while they’re most often used to fix up clothes, we’ve also seen nearly 600 broken sewing machines that need repairing themselves.

When a sewing machine goes wrong, it’s not always obvious how to get it working again.

So we’re delighted to welcome back the wonderful Jennie Caminada from Cheekyhandmades to lead an online skillshare session all about repairing and looking after sewing machines. Jennie has been fixing sewing machines for over a decade and has seen it all.

From broken needles :sewing_needle: and poor speed control to adjusting bobbin tension :thread: and oiling, we’ll cover the most common problems you’re likely to come across when working with a sewing machine and share tips for keeping it running smoothly.

We’ll also leave some time for questions.

Everyone is welcome to come along! No expertise or experience required :slight_smile:

To help us get a sense of numbers, please let us know if you’d like to join by voting on the poll below.

Here are the details:

When? :clock7:

Thursday, February 16, 2023 7:00 PM (Coordinated Universal Time) for 90 minutes.
(click or tap the time to see it in different time zones or to add it to your calendar)

Where? :compass:

On Zoom
Here’s the link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83667605221?pwd=enU1WG1EazZBa1FJL0FqN1prUXR0UT09
(we’ll open the room a few minutes before the session is due to begin)

Would you like to come to this skillshare?

• Yes, I plan on coming to this skillshare :raised_hands:
  • I can’t make it, but I would like to see the recording :film_strip:

0 voters

5 Likes

THanks

2 Likes

Looks fab- looking forward to this!
Gwen

2 Likes

Très belle initiative

1 Like

Thanks. Look forward to hearing some tips as I do the sewing M/Cs at West London Restarters.

2 Likes

I would love to join this but this time is when I’ll be putting my children to bed. Please can I have a link for the recording? Thank you!

Hi Natalie - yep, no problem. We’ll publish the recording right here once it’s ready :slight_smile:
(It may take a week or so after the event to get the recording online, as we tend to do some light editing)

2 Likes

Yes I plan to be there, I am a textile repairer with 4 sewing machines. It will be very useful. Thank you
I am a repairer for Havant Repair Cafe.

1 Like

thank you

1 Like

Can I cross-post this to the Global Fixers Server on Discord?

Hi Peter, sure, feel free to cross-post it :+1:

Thanks for organising. I will share on our new Facebook group in case anyone is interested in attending

1 Like

Thanks Edwina!

Would I be able to share the recording with my local learning cooperative that runs sewing and mending courses?

Hi Eleanor, absolutely :+1: We’ll publish the recording on YouTube and will be happy for people to share it. Just bear in mind we won’t be able to publish it straight away; it may take a week or so.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

We can’t wait to see you all tomorrow for this skillshare about sewing machine repair and we’re delighted that so many people are interested in coming! :tada:

Please note that we will have limited space, so it’s best to arrive on time at 7pm GMT to make sure you get in.

Here’s the link:

Join the skillshare
open from Thursday, February 16, 2023 7:00 PM (Coordinated Universal Time)

If you can’t make it, we will publish a recording some days afterwards.

See you there!

Thanks. See you there.

I’ll look out for this link too - think it’ll be super useful for our repair cafes!

We’re about to get started!

Here’s the link to join:

See you there :slight_smile:

tagging all of you who said you wanted to come

@Dave, @Andreu, @Clare_Seek, @Sergio, @Joe_Fernand, @Peter_Mui, @Cyryl_Plotnicki, @GUIVI_ELIAS_OPPORTUN_C, @Janna, @Martin_Smith, @VALERIE_STEPHENSON, @Donna_Lister, @Gwen_Mott, @Alex_B, @Anne_Sayer_2813, @Martha_Dombey, @sarah-846, @Hari_Bulsara, @Helen_Johnston, @Mariane_Bignotto, @Nigel_Rose, @kenyasue, @Darin_Wick, @John_Jenkins, @Davide_Tani, @Winona_Newman, @Fred, @Laura_Boyer, @Antony_Doherty, @Tabitha, @Kate_Hudson, @Frances_Campbell, @Annie_Manzor, @Jim_4141, @Davies_Bianca, @Alan_Wood, @Irene_Tuffrey, @Gemma_Mcfarlane, @Martin_Budden, @Lisa_Pennington, @Laura_O_Sullivan, @Chloe_Barter, @Kathleen_M_Vits, @Deborah_4168, @Judy_Fordham, @Julia_Claxton, @David_4184, @Janet_Plumb, @Kay_Launder, @Emma_Smith, @Faye, @Debbie_Haylor, @Liz_Cook, @Kay_Hodgetts, @Paula_Kelly, @Stephanie_Baylis-Crisp, @I_A, @Clare_Jones, @Mandy_Bell, @Axelle_Amstutz, @Teresa_Coventry_4217, @Gemma_Allen, @Uzma_RAZIQ, @Katie_Deveney, @Siobhan, @Julia_Denham, @Sandra_Knuppel, @Thais, @Karen, @Kathryn_fishlock, @Eleanor_Moss, @Irene, @Marie_Pickles, @Sanshell_Buch, @Karen_4248, @Colette_Hanrahan, @Mandy_Brinkhurst, @JS1, @Bernadette_Shortt, @Andrea_Scogings, @Barbara_Hampson, @Christine_Doherty