Windows 11 on older computers: any experience?

I’m not a Windows user myself, but I was wondering if anyone has installed Windows 11 on older hardware? I’m curious how this move is potentially driving perceived obsolescence of computers that are still supported under Windows 10 until 2025 - and on Linux for much longer! :slight_smile:

My understanding is that PCs with processors from late 2017/early 2018 are all supported, while for computers from earlier on, it would be hit or miss, and frequently not recommended. I’m basing this statement on this guide from Ars Technica:

Do you have any other resources, or direct experience?

It does seem that for many people there isn’t a compelling reason to upgrade, but this could in any case reduce the value/palatability of some second-hand hardware

Hi, finally Microsoft rectified and it’s possible to install on older computers. You must modify the register in order to “jump” the TPM check. But will be future problems that the upgrades seems to will not work.

1 Like

Hi friends,

If you really feel the need to install Win 11, feel free to do it.

I can only suggest to do a “better” choise and install WindowsFX 11, (https://www.windowsfx.org/).

It’s similar to Win11 but is based on Linux OS.

Just try and decide!

Alessandro

1 Like

If there was any way I could do it, I would much prefer to re-install Windows XP. It had everything that I wanted from an operating system without all the media hype and extensios which are of no use to me.

Is there any need to do anything at the moment? How much longer is it going to be ok to use Windows 10 for anyway?
I use it on my home computer but we also have a large number of desktop PCs at work running on W10 and the thought of having to upgrade all off those doesn’t inspire me much!

I see Windows 10 will continue to be supported for another 3 years or so.
I have just run the PC Health Check app & my PC isn’t compatible for the following reasons:

1. Must support Secure Boot.
  2. TPM 2.0 must be supported & enabled
  3. Processor isn’t currently supported for Windows11 (Intel® Core™i3-4160T CPU @3.10 GHz)
    I imagine that the first 2 are fixable but I guess I will have to look at replacing the PC in 2025 or so then.

I would not personally update to Win11 having tried on two seperate hi performance but more than 3 year old laptops, It add’s nothing but bloat and pretty things :frowning: , and even when many additional unwanted services are stopped or removed such as teams it still appears to run much slower than the original Win 10 on the same hardware. Which please note will remain in support for several years more for security updates and it maybe that business will force this to be longer or Microsoft will lose out to Linux and Apples O.S (with is based on BSD very similar to Linux, and now with Apples newer ARM based CPU’s Micosoft will have to do something… no PC’s no Microsoft income …

Linux (overall) tends to run even quicker, but its not for all.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!

@Alessandro_Cagnolati , I didn’t know about WindowsFX! Have you tried it? I’m curious about the Android compatibility, although I prefer Ubuntu and Mint…

@Graham_Rolle I was assuming the same, thanks for confirming it without me having to try it out :slight_smile:

I wonder if anyone else is getting this message in Windows Update, despite running a supported CPU (mine’s a Ryzen 5 3400G from 2019!)
Screenshot (14)

Turns out I just need to change some BIOS settings though.

Yes the BIOS / UEFI you can turn off the TPM , and not use Secure Boot.
However Microsoft want you to be running Win11 so they have installed without your consent an update to Win10 that checks and places these screens for you. Nothing to do with a security patch
However even Linux distribtiuons have to have a Microsoft signed Shim to be able to start Linux easily, although there is a movement to try and get around this by re writing the BIOS, a mamoth job as there are so many variations.
the BIOS UEFI flash chip contains an area to store Microsofts Keys. although these may have been moved to the TPM module instead of or as well as. Bit out of touch with this bit…

1 Like

Windows 10 has such a large install base it could still be on 35%+ of PCs in 3 years. Microsoft had to extend security updates for XP to 12 years after launch, I wouldn’t be surprised if they provide security updates for 10 up to 2027.

Desktop Windows Version Market Share Worldwide | Statcounter Global Stats

2 Likes

I always install the operating system that is on the sticker on the older computers…

1 Like