Repair events in/with schools in the UK

Hi, Perhaps not all of you know but we are slowly slowly testing how to work with secondary schools. We have a beta “enrichment” programme here, but there has not been much uptake, and we’ve been slightly reticent to push it more until we figure out how to involve volunteers better.

We discussed some interesting opportunities at FixfestUK.

I was wondering how many of the fixer-Restarters here are STEM Ambassadors, and whether making the link with that programme might make it easier for you to get time off during the workday to volunteer at Restart Parties in/with schools? I believe @benski is? Anyone else?

Just noting we are helping Archer Academy host a Restart Party next Thursday.

Thanks!
Janet

I certainly am!

I’m lucky enough that my boss is supportive of the STEM ambassador membership (in fact he told me to sign up!) but also general “extracurricular” stuff. I was able to do the monthly volunteer takeover on Restart Radio too.

So yes I can probably find time to get involved here and there

Cheers

Hello Janet,

I look forward to hear more about your findings from testing the secondary schools
programme and how to get volunteers involved.

Divya and I, we are slowly shaping our next year objective for Leicestershire. Schools will become our target once we have completed the current outreach programme. We have links that we want to leverage. If you have any advices for potential fundings, grants that could cover one or two part-time pay and travel expenses, I would like to know so I can write up a proposal for what we are planning to do in Leicestershire.

Divya was explaining to me that the stem ambassadors scheme also support in the recruitment of the volunteers for the Code Club. may not be completely cue up on how it works so it may be best to speak to him.

Hi Marie

One thing you can try in the meantime during your outreach programme is to schedule some of the Restart Parties at schools, perhaps in afterschool times, or on Saturdays. The one we had together with Archer Academy was a success!

I’ve put it on my list for early 2019 to reach out to STEM Ambassadors. If @Divya_Pujara can shed any light onto how STEM Ambassadors link with Code Club, that would be super helpful! If anything, it seems to be a useful recruitment channel:

https://www.codeclub.org.uk/start-a-club/volunteers/STEMAmbassadors

Thanks!
Janet

I’m a brand new STEM Ambassador, near Exeter in Devon.