Press stories

+1 for Roberts, didn’t realise. Just checked out the model of DAB Radio that I got my mum for Christmas, and it’s £14.35 for replacement aerial and battery cover, delivered. So that’s good to know. Do you think this is why the queen endorses them? :wink:

Even the BBC news

Green Alliance (and we) made submissions to the Commons Environmental Audit Committee on lowering VAT for repairs. Their endorsement is getting good press coverage!

It’s not a “silver bullet” but could be an important pro-repair step.

2 Likes

Liked the article but I’m not sure cleaning solar panels as in the picture is smart idea :astonished:

Here’s a BBC radio piece with @Jessika_Richter from Malmö interviewed, with a feature on Sweden.

1 Like

Also this story on BBC:

1 Like

This may be of interest: https://www.ebac.com/wm-which/
The video puts forward some good points about how washing machines are designed and how some best buys are not so eco friendly.
Valid points to think about, are the best buy criteria sensible?

We’d need to hear the other side of the story from Which…

I’d never come across John Elliot before but he’s obviously quite a character, I think I like him, https://www.theengineer.co.uk/ebac-founder-john-elliott/

1 Like

We were just remarking the same thing about his character.

[moderator note: this post has been moved from another topic, and relates to Steve’s post above]

Kudos to @Jessika_Richter for her contribution to this BBC News article on the durability of large appliances!

1 Like

Roger Harrabin (BBC) has a piece this morning about the UK government’s plans to implement EU rules for the provision of spare parts and new energy efficiency labels for certain devices, including washing machines, TVs and fridges:

A positive development perfectly summerised by friend-of-Restart, Libby Peake from Green Alliance, who is quoted in the article:

In any case, it’s great to see this come full circle. Those of you who were around a couple of years ago may remember our first ever Right to Repair protest in Brussels as these measures were being voted on back in 2019.

1 Like

Great, on-point messaging from Bedford Repair Café (@katie and Daniel) who were interviewed about the UK government’s announcement today :clap:

2 Likes

Ah thanks for the shout out James!
Luckily we have a very proactive local news website who want to write about these topics rather than just parking fines.
It was great to also read about the research conducted at Cranfield University.

2 Likes

The Register have also covered this.

2 Likes

The Veritasium channel has a nice piece that gets the importance of Right to Repair, through the history of the light bulb conspiracy and planned obsolescence.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Apple to supply parts to independent repair shops

I watched this last night, it’s really interesting to see the conspiracy theories were correct!

1 Like

Shared! Although they REALLY heavily borrowed from The Lightbulb Conspiracy (2010) and only really acknowledged buried in the notes.

3 Likes

The BBC have quite a nice article out today focusing on how community repair practices are being adopted and adapted around the world. It features interviews with some familiar faces, including @Frank, @Purna, @Melina_Scioli (@Club_de_Reparadores), @Chloe and @ugo:

Great work everybody! :clap:

Reminds me of a very similar session from Fixfest 2019:

3 Likes

Cory Doctorow has a nice piece on the current state of Right to Repair mainly with a US focus. https://pluralistic.net/2021/05/26/nixing-the-fix/#r2r

2 Likes