Get involved in Repair Data with MobiFix! šŸ³

Ah, that string has some non-printing characters which would explain why it was not an acceptable param in that URL.

Iā€™ve been thinking that too.

Indeed these early microtasks have no way of checking for duplicate presentations but it is on the card for work this sprint and the next. Although tbf there are a lot of mobile records that appear duplicate but actually arenā€™t, they just have the same brand/model and problem text. I ran a few queries and found that I gave 113 opinions and saw 2 of the same record 2 times. The more opinions you give the more likely you are to see dupes and as we get fewer to choose from - records with majority opinions are eliminated - you are also more likely to see dupes. Working on testing an idea to workaround that.

Most people give way less than 100 opinions, about 4 people have given in the region of 200 and one person has dedicated their time to about 850!

1 Like

Just saw ā€œneeded new connector - professional helpā€ twice in a row, but maybe there are two of those? Also had ā€œ0.2kgā€ twice today (answer: Unknown) and IIRC several times before. I guess the priority should be to ask me about the record with fewest opinions (or randomly if there are several with the same lowest number of opinions), excluding those Iā€™ve already given an opinion on (as thereā€™s little point asking me twice about a record). That means you have to record users who have given an opinion on each record, or maybe when it hits 3 then you can erase the user IDs?

That sounds like the same record twice.

There are a bunch of these with the weight in as problem text, they come from the same group years ago.

This is how all of the microtasks currently work - ā€˜fetch a random record that has not yet gained a majority of opinionsā€™.

This is not something the microtasks cope with currently, see below.

The majority of microtask users appear to be anonymous - either unregistered or not logged in and analytics shows that its not uncommon for users to start it anonymous and then log in. So Iā€™m going to try collecting the record idā€™s seen by each user in their session variable and then exclude those idā€™s in the fetch query. Ofc this means that you might see the same record if you change device, IP address, logged-in status or if the session expires (I think the session duration is quite long though for the same device/IP). However, it will be the next microtask not this one (yet). If successful it could be retro-fitted to the existing apps.

Should also point out that the user has the option to not give an opinion and ā€œFetch anotherā€ if theyā€™re sure itā€™s a duplicate although Iā€™m usually too in the zone to remember to do that myself! :smile:

1 Like

Call me a pedant if you want, but thatā€™s not the same thing as the/a record with fewest opinions.

Anyway weā€™re so close with this one thanks to your excellent work. Please donā€™t think I donā€™t appreciate your efforts!

A majority is only 2 matching opinions out of a maximum of 3 opinions. So any record that has yet to achieve 2 matching opinions can be shown to a user. For the record, MiscCat had a max 3 opinions and FaultCat went with max 5. We are as always assessing our choices with regard to the parameters.

No worries, we all certainly appreciate all of your efforts and feedback! I love the discussion and the arguments here and have certainly taken a lot of it on board!

We are working on a list of community reuse projects, some of which accept mobiles, and can be trusted to wipe them.

I believe there are also credible corporates that wipe phones, but it requires some investigation. It depends on your personal risk threshold. Do you want data deleted immediately? (For example, weā€™re not certain that Mazuna wipes mobiles in the UK or merely does a triage here and exports them for data deletionā€¦)

As we say in our Wiki

Restoring to factory settings will hide these from an opportunist but much or all of the information may still be recoverable with forensic tools, which criminals may well be in possession of.

We may not want to say this, as not sure this erm, effectively allows for reuse and recycling. Also, erm, lithium battery? :warning: @philip

Restoring to factory settings should then be effective, but even so, if youā€™re worried you might want to finish the job with a hammer!

So, we are done! :no_mobile_phones: :partying_face: Big thanks to all who particpated! :handshake:

Weā€™ve not achieved a completed microtask before so I guess it was inevitable that the final state is not handled and now loading the page results in an error, oops! :flushed: :grimacing: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Lesson learned! :woman_student: :owl:

Weā€™ve got a little work to do to adjudicate :woman_judge:, analyse :thinking: and report :bar_chart:

7 Likes

A big thanks again to everyone who took part in MobiFix.

Weā€™ve now written up the results here:

Oh, and youā€™ve all earned a special mobifix badge! :smiley:

:bulb: Did you know that you can use most badges as titles on the forum? Simply head to
your account preferences and choose one from the ā€˜Titlesā€™ list
MobiFix Title

5 Likes