FaultCat - repair data for the many, not the few - feedback please!

I do think including the brand and model data would be helpful, it’s not always available or accurate but would give some useful context. I clicked through 10-15 examples on FaultCat and at least one made me wonder whether the category was wrong (“Laptop small” but description was “Personal DVD player - not reading discs” - should this be “Handheld entertainment device” instead?)

3 Likes

We’re doing some exploratory work with product categorisation at the moment and toying with a microtask app to sanity-check the existing categories and perhaps explore different methods of categorisation.

1 Like

I have put a new version up on a test server to see what we think. It includes some of the UI and functional tweaks discussed above.

• Added translate button (just opens Google translate in new window but fills in the text)
  • Moved category and repair status into the problem box and added brand and model
  • Added a “Nope” button that unhides all the category buttons - perhaps restricting the initial choices might make the usage more obvious?

This version is not collecting live data so feel free to wildly click random buttons. Any features deemed to be an improvement can be integrated into the live version.

FaultCat v.2 Test :cat:

1 Like

Just tried another 20 or so. There are a few where the description is a good indicator but there is no obvious category. For example ‘3G not working’ on a tablet, could be the internal aerial. There is no obvious category for things like internal aerials. These can often get disconnected or damaged on previous repair or opening up.

“Internal damage”? This fault_type arose from things such as devices being dropped, liquid spillages and “user anger” (as recorded in a couple I’ve seen).

Which reminds me that there isn’t any way of distinguishing faults that are caused by poor product design/manufacture and user misuse/abuse/accident. Should the blame for breakage always lie with the manufacturer? Debatable in that devices shouldn’t be “easy” to break and its not possible to make devices 100% waterproof (and still affordable) but if somebody jumps up and down on their laptop and we record it with a fault_type that describes only the damage and the assumption is poor design or manufacture, then, hmm…

Looking good and like the translate button! My only question/critique is that “Nope, let me pick something else” should probably be another colour, like the charcoal colour it reveals when you click? Otherwise the two red buttons are slightly confusing.

Also wondering, given @Fabrice_Arfi’s confusion initially whether the help text “A [device] with repair status [x] had this problem: [x]” is still needed? What do others think?

1 Like

In the spirit of festive democracy I’ve put up a microtask to get opinions on combos of button colours.

Random combination of Bulma button colours presented on each Fetch. Select Yes to log as many combos that you like. Selecting No does nothing, its just there to complete the template.

Task Buttons Test :computer_mouse:

Might also mention that underlined letters denote keypress options, e.g. Press keyboard ‘F’ for Fetch.

Completed a number of task button tests.

How about a simple traffic light system?

:green_heart: Yes / probably
:yellow_heart: I don’t know
:heart: Nope, pick another…

4 Likes

Can try traffic lights, its a nice simple concept. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They work for me.
FaultCat Traffic LIghts :cat:

3 Likes

I’m sure everyone who gave feedback on this thread will be thrilled to know that FaultCat is now live for everyone to use - more info here:

Well done @neil and @Monique, and happy festive season everyone!

6 Likes

Great ! We’ll try that. Thank you for this brilliant idea :slight_smile:
(On regarde ça @Nebojsa_Adzic )

3 Likes