Would you like your events automatically listed on Freegle too? (in the UK)

Hi everybody,

Many of you will be familiar with Freegle, a brilliant UK-focused platform that connects people with unwanted stuff with those who do want it. (If you don’t know it, it’s worth taking a look!)

You may also know that Freegle lists community events to help people find interesting things happening in their area.

So here’s an idea: what if the UK repair events we all add here on Restarters were automatically shown on Freegle too?

This could be a great way to publicise repair events to a wider range of people in your area. What’s more, the whole process would happen behind the scenes, so you wouldn’t need to do anything extra when adding events. It would be similar to how your events already appear automatically on The Restart Project’s main website (here) for extra visibility.

To give you an idea of what this could look like, here’s a list of events happening in Penrith and Eden District listed on Freegle: https://www.ilovefreegle.org/communityevents/21560

And to clarify, this would only apply to groups based in the UK, as that’s where Freegle operates.

What do you think?
I’m keen to hear your thoughts, so please vote on the poll below and/or leave a comment.

Would you like your UK events displayed on Freegle?
  • Yes, sounds good
  • Maybe, but I’d like to learn more about it first (and will ask a question below)
  • No (and I’ll explain why below)

0 voters

(This poll is just to give us an idea of how everyone feels about the idea - it’s not necessarily binding either way)

1 Like

We have tried adding events to Freegle at Repair Cafe Gosport. There is not much evidence it has contributed to extra guests or volunteers, whilst we ask people how they found out about our group the data is far from comprehensive.

If the effort to do this is low it would be helpful but it does not seem like a high priority feature.

Thanks everybody for voting. Looks like everyone is in favour so let’s go ahead and make this happen!

@Keith_Brady, thanks for sharing your experience with Freegle. It’s definitely useful to know that it didn’t seem to make much difference for you. I wonder whether Freegle is used more in some areas than others. It wouldn’t require much effort on our part to set up the connection with Freegle, so it’s probably still worth doing. It’ll be interesting to see what impact it makes.