Right to Repair chants/placard slogans

So @james and @ugo need some creative inspiration for Monday in Brussels. And we’d love to have more Right to Repair chants/slogans for use in the “Menders Bloc” at future climate marches.

I’m going to kick this thread off, but please share your most creative R2R chants, @Bridget_Harvey @Dave I’m thinking of you! Oh and @panda because you love a good slogan.

What do we want?!
SPARE PARTS
When do we want them?
NOW, and for at least 7 years!!

And

The fixers, united, will never be defeated!

2 Likes

Dieter Rams’ principles could be useful here; in particular ‘Less, but better’. There’s so much in that pithy rule though it may be too condensed to get the message out.

Some of the t-shirt mottos can be used as slogans too. For the current campaign, Cory’s ‘Screws, not glue’ is particularly apt.

For a placard this sentence from the Economist would work well: ‘In a disposable society, to repair is to rebel.’

4 Likes

Great one. (This reminds me of a sports chant from my childhood “Nuts and bolts! Nuts and bolts! WE GOT SCREWED!”)

This one is also super timely, what with Extinction Rebellion, and well, the general Zeitgeist (although “rebellion” needs to be politically clever to avoid populist rabbit holes.)

1 Like

Thanks for the inspiration @Panda - I’ll share pictures and keep you all posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

More photos/video in a new thread…

2 Likes

Another couple of good ones we used this morning were:

Long live the fridge!

(pertinent given today’s vote was related to fridge repair)

and

Don’t treat us like fools. Let us use our tools!

:muscle: :wrench:

Here’s “Long live the fridge” in action

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrNJnl0H01R/

Maybe you can get support from health secretary, Matt Hancock who

said he had “become the world’s No 1 buyer of fridges” as part of a plan to stockpile essential medicines.

1 Like

:woman_facepalming:

We’re back in Brussels tomorrow, defending repairable washing machines and dishwashers. If anybody has any related inspiration - please share @Panda!

Sorry too late for Brussels. Longer term it would be good to have something to distinguish between taking apart for disassembly for recycling and taking apart for repairability. The only idea I can think of at the moment is a jigsaw of say a washing machine with most pieces the exact same shape (obviously can’t be all).

1 Like

The BBC has picked up some of this.

No mention of the demo/flashmob, though.

Yes but links to ManchesterDeclaration.org - we were on BBC television and radio all day too.

1 Like

Right to repair in the Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6574073/Ministers-consider-law-ensure-manufacturers-fix-white-goods.html

I found the DM comments were gasp good, if you sort by “Rated best”.

1 Like