Pre-Fixfest online meetup: 15th Sept [updated]

Are you coming to Fixfest 2019 in Berlin?

Join our video chat to meet other people going to Fixfest and learn more about what to expect from our weekend in Berlin.

It’s happening right here, 2019-09-15T14:00:00Z for 1 hour.
(click/tap the time to see it in your timezone)

:warning: The video chat has now finished. Thanks to everyone who came along!

Technical issues or slow connection?

If you’re having problems joining the call or have a slow or unreliable connection, try the following:

Join the call on Jitsi

click/tap here to see how

The call is hosted by the website Jitsi. You can find us there directly at:
https://meet.jit.si/restartcommunity

Reduce the quality of video sent/received.

1. Click the three dot menu at the bottom right of the video feed:
    More%20options
  2. In the menu that appears, click ‘Manage video quality’ and move the slider to the left

Turn off the video and just use audio

1. Follow the steps above and then make sure your camera is turned off:

Dial in from your phone

You can dial in from your phone from a number of countries. Simply dial one of the numbers below and then enter the pin:

PIN: 2112 4752 35

Country Dial-in Number
Australia +61 8 7150 1136
Brazil +55 21 3500 0112
Canada +1 647 243 6108
France +33 1 84 88 6478
Germany +49 89 380 38719
Japan +81 3 4510 2372
Spain +34 932 205 409
Switzerland +41 61 588 0496
UK +44 121 468 3154
US +1 512 402 2718

Only use text chat

If you have a really slow or unreliable connection, there will also be text chat available. Just click the speech bubble icon at the bottom left of the screen from any page on the forum to join:
Text%20chat

original poll (click/tap here to reveal)

There are a good number of us going along, but we don’t all know each other. Given (un)conferences can be more fun when not everyone is a stranger, we thought it would be nice to arrange an online meetup to get to know other people who are going and talk about the event itself.

We can set up a video chat here on the forum to make this happen, but the question is when!

If you’re interested in coming along, please vote for your preferred time/date below (choose as many as you like):

[poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=4 public=true]
  • Sat 14/09/2019, 13:00 UTC
    (9am New York, 2pm London, 3pm Brussels, 9pm Hong Kong)
  • Sat 14/09/2019, 14:00 UTC
    (10am New York, 3pm London, 4pm Brussels, 10pm Hong Kong)
  • Sun 15/09/2019, 13:00 UTC
    (9am New York, 2pm London, 3pm Brussels, 9pm Hong Kong)
  • Sun 15/09/2019, 14:00 UTC
    (10am New York, 3pm London, 4pm Brussels, 10pm Hong Kong)
  • None of these (please reply below with your preferences)
[/ [poll ]

I’ve chosen those times to accommodate attendees from as many time zones as possible. However, if lots of people can’t make these times, we’re open to suggestions!

What do you reckon?

A big thanks to everyone who’s voted for their preference so far. Looks like Sunday the 15th at 2pm UTC is easily the frontrunner at this stage.

The poll is still open, so if anyone else is keen to have a say, now’s your chance :wink:

This poll has now closed and with 100% of the vote, the pre-Fixfest meetup will be happening on:

:star2: 2019-09-15T14:00:00Z :star2:
(click/tap the date to see it in your timezone)

Anyone coming to Fixfest is welcome to join, even if you didn’t vote in the poll above.
We’ll talk about what will be happening (including a couple of satellite events), answering questions and getting to know each other a little. I’ll post a full outline of the call nearer the time, but for now…

If you plan on coming along, please reply below to say you’ll be there :pray:
Feel free to add any questions you’d like us to cover so we can make sure we have answers for you.

Cc: @Andreu, @Club_de_Reparadores, @Colin_Fitzpatrick, @Dave, @Fernando_GA, @Inez_Louwagie, @Jana_Rueckschloss, @Jessika_Richter, @Jonathan_Vigne, @Kaja_Juul_Skarbo, @Marie_Lefebvre, @Mark_Phillips, @Monique, @Michael, @Mike_Kavanagh, @Nebojsa_Adzic, @Rosario_Antoci, @Savino, @Sergio, @Tim

3 Likes

Thanks for organising the meet up! I’ll definitely be joining, and I’m also really looking forward to meeting all of you.

If possible, I’d like us to go over the “unconference” sessions during Fixfest and how they’ll look like. I think many of us would be interested in sharing :slight_smile: Cheers!

2 Likes

One thought James, as this category is open to the public, would it be possible for those who are new or not yet on the platform — thinking specifically Johnathen (Cape Town) and Purna (Bangalore) to join? (And not sure if Meli uses @Club_de_Reparadores account).

Perhaps we should email them?

1 Like

I’ll be there.

FYI I’ve asked for an unconference session on maintenance, which is my new hobby-horse.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Definitely worth emailing those folks. I’m happy to do so (just need their email addresses)

And thanks Dave & Fernando :slight_smile:

I will certainly try to join you guys for the call!

Is the video part necessary? Also which plateforme will you use?

Cheers!
Neb

1 Like

That’s great to hear @Nebojsa_Adzic!
The video part is optional. You can just use audio if you prefer. There will also be a text channel available for those with slow connections.

The video/audio will be right here in this discussion. We’ll be embedding a Jitsi stream above. However, there will also be the option to dial in on the phone.

Thank you Janet! Letting Meli know and will tell her to keep an eye here as well!

2 Likes

@james Thanks for organising virtual meet up before FixFest :slight_smile:

A presto
Mike

2 Likes

I’ll hopefully make it.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

A quick reminder that we’re meeting 2019-09-15T14:00:00Z

(to clarify, that’s 3pm in London, 4pm in Brussels, 10pm in Hong Kong and 10am in New York)

The call will be happening right here; the first post in this discussion. I’ve updated that first post with further details on how to join :+1:

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

James

Cc: @Fernando_GA, @Club_de_Reparadores, @Dave, @Nebojsa_Adzic, @Mike_Kavanagh, @Mark_Phillips, @Janet

2 Likes

@james

Sorry about that. Need to fix the microphone on my headset right away

1 Like

No problem @Mike_Kavanagh, thanks for coming along and I’m glad you could hear us at least :slight_smile:

And thanks also to @Andreu, @Fernando_GA, @Janet, @Mark_Phillips, @Nebojsa_Adzic, @Purna & @ugo for coming.

As per Janet’s suggestion, I’ve started a list of fun things to do in Berlin for the Sunday afternoon after Fixfest:

Sorry to miss it: I was deep in discussions about maintenance.

What did I miss?

Thanks for the “Things to do” post @james, I’ll add to it.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fun and interesting things to do in Berlin

For those who couldn’t make it to the call yesterday, here’s what we covered:

Who was in the room?

What did we talk about?

After introducing ourselves, we discussed what to expect this week in Berlin. For those arriving a little early, there are a couple of events happening before Fixfest starts on Friday:

Open Data Hackathon :bar_chart:

Thursday 19th, 18.30-21.00, Mozilla Berlin
A fun dive into an open dataset of repair data on electronics and electrical repairs performed by volunteers around the world. You don’t need to be a data analyst to get involved!

Climate Strike

Friday 20th, 12pm onwards, Brandenburg Gate (meeting point to be confirmed)
A march through Berlin to demonstrate mass support for action on the climate emergency. Join our repair bloc!
Keep an eye on the Fixfest 2019 website for the latest info

:round_pushpin: We’ve set up a WhatsApp group to co-ordinate our movements. If you’d like to join this group, click here to join or send me a message (@james) with your WhatsApp number.

Fixfest 2019

Friday 20th, 5:30pm to Sunday 22nd, 1pm, Technische Universität Berlin
Find the full programme on the Fixfest 2019 site. Most sessions will be in English and some will be in German.

Note: Room 2 will be available all day on Saturday and on Sunday morning for unconference sessions. These are opportunities for you to present your work and talk about the projects you’re working on.

:earth_asia: Global perspectives on repair: @Fernando_GA, @Nebojsa_Adzic and @Purna are hoping to run a session to share perspectives on repair from non-European communities. If you’re interested in helping them out, feel free to message them directly.

Post-Fixfest activities

Sunday 22nd, afternoon/evening, Berlin
The official Fixfest programme finishes at about 1pm on Sunday. While some people will be leaving Berlin that afternoon, many of us will be staying on for the rest of the day. We’re compiling a list of fun and interesting things to do/see in Berlin that we can use for some post-Fixfest fun! Do take a look and feel free to make your own additions :wink:

3 Likes