Online skillshare: Upgrading old audio gear (UPDATED: 6 Jul)

With the recent news that Apple is discontinuing the last of it iconic iPod range, we thought now would be the perfect time to talk about how to get the most out of your old audio devices.

In this online skillshare, @benski will guide us through how to give old(er) iPods and speakers a new lease of life and even make them more capable than before!

We’ll cover:

• how to restore and upgrade an old iPod (or other music player) with:
    • a new battery
    • more storage
    • replacement software
  • how to convert any speakers into ‘smart’ speakers (that don’t spy on you) using a Raspberry Pi

As usual, there will be plenty of time for questions too.

This session is open to everybody, no experience required!

To help us get a sense of numbers, please let us know if you’d like to join by voting on the poll below.

Here are the details:

When? :clock730:

2022-07-06T18:30:00Z for 1 hour
(click or tap the time to see it in different time zones)

Where? :compass:

This session will take place on Zoom. Click below to reveal the link:

Would you like to come to this skillshare?

• Yes, I’d like to come along
  • I can’t make it but would like to see the recording

0 voters

Add this event to your calendar :spiral_calendar:

If you use a calendar from one of the following services, click one of the links below to add the event details to your calendar:

Apple | Google | Office 365 | Outlook | Outlook.com | Yahoo

Any questions, just ask below :+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to it. I’d just point out that on account of chip shortages, Raspberry Pi’s are currently like rocking horse manure, though you can get a used one (at an elevated price) on eBay. But if you can get a Pi 3 or 4 then you can install Alexa on it and turn an old radio into a smart speaker. However, adding a Bluetooth receiver module costing just a few pounds to an old radio to turn it into a Bluetooth speaker is a simpler but still a very worthwhile project.

Just a quick reminder that this skillshare is happening this evening! Do vote on the poll above if you’d like to come along :slight_smile:

A quick update on this. Unfortunately we’ve had to postpone tonight’s session.

This skillshare will now happen on: 2022-07-06T18:30:00Z

Sorry about this everyone! Hope you can make it on this new date.

Tagging everyone who’s expressed in interest in coming: @philip, @adrians, @Charles_Strong, @Ian_Barnard, @Chelsea_Kitzen, @Adam, @neil

Unfortunately that counts me out.

Gah, that’s a shame, sorry about that Philip! We’ll definitely record the session, so you’ll be able to catch it afterwards.