Introducing a new way to share your impact!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts @Dave and @philip. I think you’re right that more people can relate directly to driving or flying as more common activities than planting/growing trees. And initially, we did consider giving groups the option to choose whether they wanted a consumption-based equivalency or a mitigation one. In practice, we didn’t have the resources to do both so we had to pick one.

We did quite consciously want to move away from driving in order to make the figures more future-proof (given internal combustion engine cars will be increasingly phased out over the coming years) and also more universal - i.e. consistent across all countries where activities take place. (It also neatly avoids the kilometres vs miles contention for people in the UK and USA :sweat_smile: )

It’s true that flying is more straightforward. So that would likely be the way we’d go if we were to reintroduce a consumption-based equivalency. Though one small issue is that it might not work well for small amounts of CO2e (e.g. the amount saved from one event), so we’d probably need a second metric that doesn’t involve vehicles or electricity-use (for the same reason).

Philip, yep! A hectare is indeed a square with 100m sides, or roughly the same as Trafalgar Square in London. The visualisations that use hectares do have a basic scale on the right hand side to offer a bit more context, though perhaps they’re not super obvious…

You’re right about the tree seedling metric: we’re using 1 tree seedling grown over 10 years equates to about 60kg of CO2 sequestered. Our source for this is the US Environmental Protection Agency, which itself draws from a couple of sources:

The other metric (hectares planted) is derived from an entirely different source, and is therefore not comparable with the tree seedling metric. It simply looks at hectares of forest planted (rather than individual trees). But it does equate to around 12 tonnes of CO2 sequestered per hectare per year, as you deduce.

The source for this is some research carried out by Winrock for their Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) Carbon Storage Calculator and published here:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your work on updating the visuals and data on the Fixometer which we actively use monthly. From the start (now 11 sessions we have recorded outcome of unpowered items eg sewing). Can you confirm that these are recorded in overall calculation results and if sewing, woodwork etc is listed as unpowered skill.

Hi Edwina - it’s wonderful to hear you upload data every month! Repaired unpowered items do indeed count towards the group’s total impact stats :slight_smile:

@neil in your post about the updates you said that the French version was updated for events data downloads. Did you mean this ?

Or the csv data file that restart parties can download ?

If so, how can I translate the sentence that’s still in english below the drawing of trees?
Thanks !

1 Like

Hi @Florine_Paquay

I was referring to the CSV data file of events that you can download -

If so, how can I translate the sentence that’s still in english below the drawing of trees?

I’ve got a feeling that this might be complicated based on how we build the image - but I’ll have a look into it :slight_smile: