India's right to repair framework

A video looking at the existing repair culture in India and the potential for upcoming right to repair regulations (the government’s current R2R framework is voluntary):

Interesting to see how the R2R regulations in the EU has acted as some inspiration for India.

4 Likes

I feel obliged to respond.

My phone was just fixed, and I reside not far from Nehru Place.

About this movie, I’d like to mention a few things:

India is a e- waste producing country. Apart from famous markets such as Nehru Place, there exist unauthorized/unknown markets where all the recyclable elements from the trash are sold at a reduced price.Every large city has chor bazaars, which have a bad image when people believe the products are stolen; Delhi has a lot of them. These kind of movies seem to lack back-end supply chains for some reason.

In reference to the Kataria case, which is a historic case, it would have been beneficial if additional information on the case had been included in the movie, as many people are unaware that CCI is a real thing.The Competition Commission serves as both the antitrust watchdog for smaller associations who are unable to defend themselves against larger corporations and as India’s competition regulator.

In India, the right to repair is a buzzword. The campaign aims to demonstrate to the western world that action is being taken regarding this issue.

The informal sector is still hardly discussed. Perhaps speaking with microentrepreneurs will shed additional insight on this. For example, what do they want to get out of the government? It remains the producer of employment in India. Many young people join this mobile repair business with a very minimum investment and so on…
https://themaintainers.org/evolving-mobile-repair-business-guest-blog/

Thanks
Purna

5 Likes

Thanks for these insights, Purna.

2 Likes