Hacking waste management for the smart city

I’ll be conducting a workshop in the Data Cities conference that happens next week in Berlin. It would be great to meet restarters from around.

Workshop 3: Reuse, Recycle, Repair - Hacking waste management for the smart city

With: Felipe Schmidt Fonseca (Activist, Free/Open Advocate and Researcher, OpenDoTT project, BR/DE).

Reducing consumption and reusing materials contribute decisively to prevent the generation of waste. As well as the obvious environmental benefits, the reuse through repair, re-circulation and upcycling has positive social and economic outcomes for society at large. However, smart city projects seldom take into account the reuse of materials as part of their solutions for waste management. This workshops tries to advance the idea of a reuse commons and discuss what would be its implications in terms of data generation and governance, decision-making and privacy.

2 Likes

Great @Felipe_Fonseca - looks interesting! We’ve shared with friends in Berlin at Runder Tisch Reparatur, who hosted Fixfest.

1 Like

Hi Felipe, the project ‘Sharepair’ (in which also Restart participates) aims at creating a ‘repair data commons’, based on existing data pooling of repair communities and prospected data pooling in smart ‘circular’ cities.
Happy to join forces!

Jan

3 Likes

@Jan_Larosse: I’m sorry, I missed your message completely. That first month in Berlin was hectic at work and family. Let’s work together! I’ll contact you in private about it.