If your group is in the UK, we have grants available! (If not, sorry! These are UK-only)
Our funder Nesta/DCMS has just made it possible for us to extend financial support to groups that help other groups get started.
We’re interested in learning how to do this, and we think you can help us define the scope and mechanism for this.
At the end of September, we will open a call to groups here to apply for up to £5,000 to strengthen activity in England from autumn 2019 through mid 2020.
Note: We are open to applications from NI, Scotland and Wales, but these will not be funded by Nesta/DCMS and instead from our own funds. Because of this, we can probably only support one or two applicants outside of England at most.
We aim to make the process as straight-forward as possible. However, this will be a competitive call, and we will have to make a selection based on the criteria we share. Please also note that part of this work is to track our impact as a network, and some reporting will be required .
In the meantime, there is time for you to tell us what you need and help shape this call. (See below!)
- Your feedback until 17th September
- Call for applications ready w/c 23rd September
- Call closes w/c 7th October
- Decisions w/c 14th October
- First payment - end of October
- Second payment - end of January
We’ve been granted funds to support those groups who help other groups get started with community repair. This could be as minimal as answering emails to as intensive as going for coffees/teas, doing venue recce with future hosts, and helping on the first event.
But we think that up to £5,000 can go further. We’re interested in funding activities which do any of the following:
Deepen the shared ethos of our events - they are not a free repair shop, they’re about learning
Enhance safety and effectiveness of events
Ensure our network is broad-based and diverse
a) Reaching those who are inclined to activism and connecting them to the bigger picture
b) Embedding our work in wider society / economy - links with schools, makerspaces, businesses
Our questions for you
- What activities have you been unable to fund, and could you use this funding for? (We are very open to ideas, including funding people to do the work)
- Could you leverage this funding, i.e. ask local government or a local sponsor to match it?
- What are the “deal-breakers” in terms of applying for small grants?
Please reply below to these questions by 17th September