Fixometer upgrade - *UPDATE* 6th July - integration with this site + new features for groups & event management

Hey everyone - an important update about the Fixometer

This Tuesday (the 3nd of July), we’ll be introducing a brand new version of the Fixometer! :grin:

Over the last few months, we’ve been working on a number of new features for the Fixometer to build on what it already does and introduce new tools for groups and event management.

Here’s a preview of some of the new stuff:

:man_technologist: Self-registration is here! Anyone will be able to make their own account (finally!)

:busts_in_silhouette: Create and manage your own group(s) and invite your members

:calendar: Volunteers with an account can RSVP to events

:raising_hand_woman: Restarters (repairers) can now have their own profiles, which they can use to find & join local groups, edit repair data and RSVP to events

:speech_balloon: Join the discussion: the new Fixometer will be integrated with this discussion forum, together forming a new community platform*

:wrench: Access and edit our repair wiki

:writing_hand: Simplified design

*Part of linking the Fixometer and this forum means implementing Single Sign On - one login for the Fixometer and this forum. Here’s what that means for your accounts:

If all goes to plan then, you’ll be able to log in to the new Fixometer AND this forum from https://restarters.net using your usual log in details.

• if you don’t already have an account on the Fixometer, you’ll be able to log in to the new Fixometer and this forum with your details for your forum account at https://restarters.net
  • if you do have a Fixometer account, you’ll need to make sure your email address is the same for that account and your forum account as the two will be merged. (@Andreu, @Dave, @ssebti)

Note: There’s a small chance of this going a bit wrong (a standard beta-test hazard!), in which case, we’ll be on hand to resolve any account issues!

In any case, if you have a Fixometer account and repair data, they will not change when we upgrade, but we will now ask you to license your repair data as available for reuse. This will allow us to do some ‘bigger picture’ work including pushing for better products.

For the new version to work optimally, you will need to complete a short welcome process the first time you log in from Tuesday to keep using the Fixometer. This will ask you to update your profile and give you a quick tour.

Note that this will be a private beta version, while we make sure everything works as it should. We’ll need your help finding bugs and testing it, so if you have repair data you’ve been meaning to enter, this is the perfect opportunity as we’ll be around to help with problems.

If you have feedback about the wider restarters.net site, we’d love to hear it in the #restarters-dev category.

With your help, we hope to launch it properly in late July, when we can start shouting about it publicly.

If you have any questions or concerns, or you’re interested in finding out more about this tool please get in touch!

A quick update on this: we’ve delayed the launch of this upgrade to tomorrow (Friday the 6th). This is due to some last minute technical issues.

@Andreu & @ssebti - if you want to your Fixometer account linked with your account on this forum, can you make sure you’ve updated your email for your account here to match your Fixometer account?

Thanks!

Hi James, I verified: the email is the same for the Fixometer and the Forum

1 Like

BUG ?
In the INSERTECH Group (Restarters) I tried to invite 2 users to the group, but no email was sent.

Volunteers (**Invite to group**)

The fisrt user was on the insertech.ca so I thought it was a question of firewall or something.
So I tried another user @hotmail.com, but no email sent either

Hi Saad,

Thanks for reporting - however the site is not currently live - please could you wait until tomorrow when we send out emails. Thanks!

Neil

1 Like

Hi @ssebti, we’re live now! Feel free to try again now. It’d be useful to know whether you hit the same issue now

Hi, I tried to create a group but “Something went Wrong” please help.

Hi James,

That’s not good!
We’re going to start recording all feedback about the wider restarters.net site in the private category #restarters-dev - to get access, simply join the Restarters Development Team - we’ll approve your membership, then you can post in that category.

Sound okay?

(Also, are you looking for Hackney Fixers?)

Ok, yes, my bad. I didn’t see it in the list so I thought I needed to create it.

So I’ll post feedback in #restarters-dev

James

1 Like

ICYMI…

We’re super excited to let you know that the freshly upgraded Fixometer is now up and running as a private beta! We had a slight delay getting it out the door, but now we are opening it up to existing users only - and during the weekend and following week, we would really appreciate your participation and help with bugs and teething problems before we invite fixers and friends from Fixfest and all across the world.

Our aim is get as many of you on there and testing/trying it out within the first week. Join here - and please use the same email and password you are using on Discourse already (unless you already have a Fixometer account, in which case, use your Fixometer password):

If you need help, we’ve created a Help & feedback category on the discussion forum (you’ll need to be logged in for that link to work).

As you can imagine, this is a big project, and stitching all of the various pieces together is really a massive, ongoing task. A couple of caveats: automated account creation for the Wiki is not enabled yet and we are still working on improving the mobile/tablet display on a few pages.

After you’ve spent some time testing things, there are two ways you can feedback -

1. fill in our survey
  2. join a special closed discussion group

We will take on your feedback during the first weeks of July and aim to iron out all of the issues for a more public beta towards the end of the month.

We hope you like what we’ve done with the place and look forward to hearing from you!

1 Like

Hi @james,
I’ve changed my Discourse & Fixometer accounts to have the same email address:
Is there anything else I need to do to meld them?

I don’t seem to be able to change the email address in my Discourse account, which I consider a shortcoming.
Conveniently I can change it on my Fixometer account, which is fine because that’s the one I wanted to change anyway::smiley_cat:

Hi @Dave, that’s great, thanks! That should be all you need to do - those login details will get you in to both the Fixometer and Discourse (one account for both). So, changing your email on the Fixometer should change it Discourse too. If that doesn’t work, let us know!

Hi @james,
One more problem:
Fixometer thinks I’m “dave” but Discourse thinks I’m “davel”
So for instance, when I click the “Click here to set your email preferences for our discussion platform” link in the Fixometer, I get a 404.

Ideally, I’d like to be “dave” everywhere to save wear & tear on my “l” key, but I can survive either way.

Thanks.

Hi Dave - you should be able to change your Discourse username in your user preferences

That’s a good spot Dave - we’re still working on that one.

As it stands, restarters.net is unaware of your Discourse username, so that link doesn’t work at present. We might go down the route of having restarters be the source of truth and always overwrite the username in Discourse, but that requires exposing the username field in restarters and allowing people to edit it, and it wouldn’t be used for any other purpose in restarters (at the moment at least.) The flipside is to call the Discourse API for the currently logged in user to figure out what their username is.

Still thinking about that. As James said, I’d suggest just changing your name in Discourse for now and we’ll work on sorting that link out.

I’d love to, but, unless I’m missing something, it’s not editable in Discourse for me.

Is that an admin-only thing, maybe?

If so, can someone please do the necessary for me.

Ta!

Ahh, thanks for the heads up! Looks like accounts could only change username within the first 7 days after registering. I’ve changed that to a month, so you should be able to edit it now :slight_smile:

Done.

Of course, that’s now broken all previous @-mentions of me, but I’m sure we’ll survive.

Some good news there actually, @ mentions update automatically to reflect username changes, so all good on that front!