Challenges of Repairing White Goods for Low Income Households

Since we’ve changed from a monthly pop-up to running a Hub in our city’s indoor shopping centre, we’re getting more and more requests for help with White Goods.

There are many low income households in our city that can’t afford a £90 call out fee to get their washing machine looked at, and are struggling and sometimes get access to funding which gets them to replace their machine, but with no option to repair it.

Just wondering if anywhere else in the UK has any projects/work in this area, that we could learn from, as we have no experience of working with White Goods, but it seems insane that so much e-waste is being created in this area, and there isn’t currently anything being done to address it.

Would love to hear any insights/experience from others.
Thanks
Clare

5 Likes

No experience in this area other than my own dismal attempt to fix a broken dishwasher door latch. :frowning:

I advise anyone who turns up with a question about a big appliance is to check the eSpares advice first. It can help, at least with initial triage. Being able to identify a problem, knowing if a spare is needed and how much it might cost can help decide if a repair is viable and worth it. https://www.espares.co.uk/advice

1 Like

Yes, espares are great. Someone contacted us last week about a broken washing machine door and couldn’t afford for a repair person to come out. I directed them to eSpares that sold the glass insert and had a helpful video on how to sort it yourself.

1 Like