An inspiring community repair + "low-tech" initiative in France

I’ve just watched this video by French public broadcaster Arte, which I highly recommend, especially from minute 10:17:

It tells the story of a repair initiative in Briançon, one of the difficult entry points into France for migrants arriving in Europe via Italy, Greece or beyond.

Here the organisation Eko! organises a Low-tech with Refugees, a project including a community repair centre where new skills are shared and learned by locals as well as migrants arriving, so that everyone can experience what a more resilience future looks like, not just repairing, but also learning a low-tech approach to be resourceful and explore the jobs of the future.

I find this project very inspiring, and I hope we can all learn how best to include more and more in our repair communities people bringing low-tech solutions to enrich our (repair) experiences

10 Likes

Nice to see Linux when the laptop boots up :penguin:

3 Likes

What would you characterise as low-tech in a repair context?

I think low-tech mostly relates to other aspects of the project, showing alternatives such as pedaling for producing energy. However in the context of repair, it would probably mean reusing reclaimed, second-hand parts, trying to fix components rather than replacing whole larger parts, or indeed moving to linux rather than giving up on an unsupported laptop for instance :slight_smile:

1 Like