Why Verizon locks bootloaders

Another interesting post by Martin about how Lineage and Samsung Android manage phone charging differently:

One odd thing I noticed is that LineageOS on the S9 behaves differently to Samsung’s stock android. While Lineage always stays in 9 V mode and increases the power draw, the Stock Android falls back to 5 V and reduces the power draw as soon as the screen is switched on. I tried with an S8 and saw the same behavior. I’m not sure why Samsung does this, perhaps to make sure the combined heat of charging, of running computing intensive tasks on the CPUs and the screen creating head doesn’t overheat the battery which would reduce its lifetime?

Lets get to the REAL issue…Rooting the device…and verizons fear of a pentester revealing how to pirate their network. Thats what they really lock them for. I own a pixel3xl and was sickened at the fact that i couldnt load any rom or modify my device i soentmy hard earned money to get . Also in updates tgey never fix any of the problems the device has . They simply erase the component…laziness…my pixel 3xl has no fingerprint functionality…i paid for that verizons policy took it away which fueled me…now im on a quest to build programs that can 100% subvert the changes all because of verizons greed and lack of proprietary information security. One statement they also gave in response to the posters letter was theft of devices…you care that much about purchased phones that you want to make sure it isnt stolen from me?..who made you my phone protector?..thats my responsibility not yours…the truth is their so called propriety software is also a backdoor into your device…they collect whatever information they want on you even have the ability to remotely unlock your device if you refuse to for law enforcement…they thought they were smart when they made it so no program could rip the proprietary info from the device and its stored in partitions that can only be accessed via a broadcast to a certain activity via terminal…thats why…they could care less about locking you into the network…they just dont want that backdoor they have to be discovered in their code but if you own an android device and you query adb for all apks…it prints out a list far longer than it would be if you did it via your device abd an apk lister app…the programs xdivert.apk…and others will crop up now and again on all verizon devices and from the look of the proprietary code these look as malicious as malware

Hi @Haahn, welcome to the community! Feel free to update your profile to let everyone know who you are and/or introduce yourself too :slight_smile:

This is a pretty old topic that hasn’t been active for a couple of years. As a general rule, once a topic stops being active for a while, it’s best to start a fresh one. This just helps prevent pinging out notifications to everyone who participated in the discussion years ago and may have moved on since. So I’m going to close this topic now.

Hope that makes sense,
James