Life Cycle Analysis for repair v refurbish v recycling

Recent academic paper on lifecycle analysis for circular / end of life options for a mobile phone - The analysed end-of-use scenarios repairing and refurbishing show the highest potential for smartphones in terms of Circular Economy, as most of the environmental impacts can be allocated to the device production, and the impact of additional steps to perform CE-strategies (e.g. collection of discarded phones, refurbishing) is rather low.
(PDF) Modelling of different circular end-of-use scenarios for smartphones . Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348974150_Modelling_of_different_circular_end-of-use_scenarios_for_smartphones [accessed Jul 01 2021].

3 Likes

I didn’t understand this final statement: “If a smartphone is used for about 2 years in the first use without repair needed, refurbishment and remanufacturing should be preferred, as the prolonging of the use time is than much longer than within the repair scenario”

If repair isn’t needed, why is it even relevant to compare refurbishment/remanufacture with repair?

Or is this saying: after two years not needing repair, then refurbish anyway which will extend the life of the device more compared to waiting for the need to repair?

Ian - not sure I do either. I’ve just re-read it, at first it looks like a bit of a throwaway remark, right at the end of the paper. It should be better explained (I’d have told them that if I’d reviewed it). But it might be due to their view that overall, refurbishing will keep the phone in use for longer, and that length of use is the overall determining factor on impact. But that doesn’t seem to tie in with figure 6. Also it is just modelling, so other assumptions may influence. Either way, it makes a strong case for repair or refurbishment over other options.

Interesting find Mark! I’m off next week, so will add it to my reading list :+1:

I’m about to finish a course on Sustainable Electronics. We covered the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). I have come across this tutorial that goes through the process: LCA and Introduction to GABI

It’s quite in depth and detailed, but from what I have experienced it feels quite comprehensive. Though I feel it lacks the interactivity to transfer experiential and tacit knowledge. Perhaps some procedural workshops would help with that.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Building a spare parts marketplace?

I for one find it hard to see much point in repair of cellphones that are more than say 2 years old. Maybe a few high dollar ones are worth it but the skills and tools needed just to open an iphone for example can quickly make it counter productive and you havent figured in cost of parts yet.

This opinion of course is based on what i see in my part of the world (miami, usa). A cracked screen repair is $75-100usd on average. Ive done it myself, once. Im above average in electronics repair and considered it a daunting experience.

The way phones are assembled needs to get addressed. The most common consumer commodity is one of the most difficult to open up. Next batteries need to get standardized. Like the old nokia 3c,4c,5c idea.

1 Like

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there Robert :+1:
Couldn’t agree more that repair is often more difficult than it should be and that even opening up something like an iPhone is frustratingly complicated. That’s why we’re pushing so hard for Right to Repair laws to make repair easier and cheaper. We’ve written a quick primer on the Right to Repair here that you might find interesting: The Right to Repair: an introduction

And given you’re in the USA, you might also be interested in the US campaign (though perhaps you’ve seen it already) :