The restarters.net platform links together a few different modules/applications. These are primarily:
- Fixometer (custom built, also incorporates registration, signin and dashboard)
- Discussion (Discourse)
- Restarters Wiki (Mediawiki)
- Repair Directory (custom built)
We’re trying as much as possible to allow Restarters to access each of the different modules in one place, without having to remember multiple locations and multiple sets of credentials (and even get more attention for some of the modules - for example we’ve had comments in the past that people didn’t know the Wiki existed!)
The main parts of this are:
- SSO (single-sign on) - logging in to one place
- Discovery and navigation (being aware of the different platforms and being able to move between them)
- Aggregation (pulling together activity across the platforms)
The current state of play is:
Login is via restarters.net, the other platforms should redirect you there if you try to log in to them directly. (Intention is that people will go directly to restarters.net, but quite likely some will choose to go directly to individual modules)
- works for Discourse and Repair Directory, not yet for Wiki
Discovery and navigation
- Discovery and navigation - modules are accessible via the menu in restarters.net and via targeted links in the dashboard
- the Repair Directory, Wiki and Discourse have links to the other platforms
Ideally we’d have a unified navigation across all platforms, but this is complicated as they’re running on different software. The cheap and hacky way would be to have an iframe, but Discourse doesn’t like being in an iframe (fair enough). The other way is to manually replicate the nav across all the different apps - which is a bit of a duplication of effort, and depends how much customisation each app gives you - so best to wait until it’s all bedded in and we know what we like.
This is mostly via widgets on the dashboard.
- we can currently pull in some data from the Wiki
- we know how to pull in data from Discourse, but figuring out what is best
- Repair Directory - needs work to figure out how
Feedback welcome on all of this!