Get involved in Repair Data with MiscCat!

Something we are noticing with categories being dependent on the EEE status is that where there is uncertainty over the EEE status but there is a category you either stay with “Misc” or take a guess as to whether it might be electrical or not… e.g.

Also, some items fall between the two sets of categories… e.g.

Just noting here for the record that I’ve come across a number of non-specific chargers :electric_plug:

There’s a category for 'PC accessory` that would cover laptop chargers. But for the others, I’ve just been selecting miscellaneous (electronic)

3 Likes

Same - e.g. ‘Battery charger for mobility scooter’.

1 Like

DVD players - these could be categorised as “Hi-fi separates” (which is probably what they’re most like, in terms of weight and CO2 impact) or “TV and gaming-related accessories” (which is a closer description to what it does). So one categorisation maybe gives a more accurate impact metric, but the other makes more sense?

3 Likes

I’ve been putting TV and gaming-related accessories for these since forever but you make a good point. Some guidance there would be good.

Just came across a 65" flatscreen TV :tv: . At the moment, the categories for flat screen TVs only go up to 37"…

Might need some new categories for these bigger sizes

2 Likes

Agree that the flatscreen sizes, and the clusters they are in, are a bit dated

3 Likes

There seem to be loads of bluetooth speakers and/or iPod docks/accessories. Is it worth considering a solution for these?

2 Likes

A few others I’ve seen a number of times:

• laminators
  • scales (kitchen & bathroom)
  • pressure/jet washers
  • Satnavs/GPS devices
  • powerbanks
1 Like

I’ve seen… in category of emerging categories…
• e-bikes
• drones

We’re signing off from the online session for Open Data Day now - thanks everyone for coming :slight_smile:

For today’s session we had:

• nearly 1200 opinions given
  • and over 250 records so far with a majority consensus on what the item can be recategorised to - ~13% of all Misc items, good stuff!

You can keep recategorising with MiscCat at any time - keep those opinions coming :smirk_cat:

Also lots of great feedback on the categories we are using - we’ll sum it up and report back soon.

4 Likes

Yup categorization does depend on what you are using the categorization for. Perhaps in MiscCat giving an idea of why we create statistics (e.g. for the Fixometer) might help people decide which is the appropriate category, like with the DVD player example you give

1 Like

Glasses and sunglasses may be a good category to split out and watch on non electrical side because they often contain precious metals or titanium.

Also there is an aweful lot of electric bikes. Put all into misc. Maybe be worth adding a category.

1 Like

Summary of the category suggestions above:

EEE:

• non-specific chargers
  • laminators
  • scales (kitchen & bathroom)
  • pressure/jet washers ( put these as power tools)
  • Satnavs/GPS devices
  • powerbanks
  • e-bikes
  • drones
  • bluetooth speakers
  • iPod docks/accessories
  • flatscreens > 37"

Non-EEE

• Glasses/sunglasses
  • Clock/watch

It might have been worth adding an input box to MiscCat to collect suggestions in order to quantify them. Nonetheless I can run some queries to find keywords within the remaining Misc items.

1 Like

a lot of categories are missing,
like microwave, Oven, Mixer, Power Banks, Navigation, …

Hi @Datam, great to see you here :slight_smile:

Of the categories you mention:

• mixer would fit under the existing ‘small kitchen appliance’ category.
  • navigation would fit under ‘Satnavs/GPS devices’ (as mentioned by Monique above)
  • powerbanks were also mentioned by Monique

As a general rule, we advise groups not to accept microwaves due to the high voltages involved. But do you see many ovens and microwaves in Ghent?