Co-creating a post-lockdown live event protocol

Visitors will need to stay with their devices or items all the time, as before. What tended to happen is that the volunteer repairs, but the visitor watches and get an explanation on how to fault find or repair in the future. So a situation of no tool sharing is not that far from before.

Regarding online activities: no, we are not continuing those at present. You are right that some people are not ready to venture out yet (including some of our volunteers), but I hope that there is more engagement with offline events rather than ā€œyet another Zoom meetingā€. I think many people feel like that after months of screen-only meetings!

Fair enough, I think many of us can relate to video conference fatigue!

That said, given that many repair volunteers are (understandably) reluctant to come back to in-person events, Iā€™ve been wondering whether itā€™s worth exploring hybrid models that could include volunteers at home keen to participate.

For example, could there be one or two remote repairers on call (via video call, text chat or phone call) to advise or work with the repair team on the ground?

@Frank Iā€™m curious - did your event on September 5 take place? If so, how did it go? I bet other groups on here would be eager to learn from your experience :slight_smile:

Yes, it did and we had a steady stream of visitors. A few confused ones who were asking about the ā€œmenuā€ for the ā€œcafĆ©ā€, but that is part of the education processā€¦

Pretty much everyone got the ā€œsanitise hands & leave contact detailsā€ routine without volunteer intervention, more people needed reminding about face covering.

Good mix of ages and interesting items with lovely stories: 1960s rocket lamp, 1920s (specific brand) metal tin, an old LP player, vintage lampā€¦ Explicitly advertising (on Facebook) a new skill from one of our volunteers (repairing ceramics/pottery) got 3 visitors.

Running it again in October :slight_smile:

Edited to add: ā€œprovision of voluntary servicesā€ and ā€œeducation or trainingā€ are both listed as exclusions from the ā€œrule of 6ā€ in force as of today. gov.uk link

3 Likes

Thatā€™s very exciting to hear, well done for running the event and creating a protocol to run it safely!

You didnā€™t ask visitors to sign up beforehand, right? Was the number of visitors similar to events run before lockdown?

Correct, no signing up beforehand. Visitor numbers were probably slightly down compared to our last event, but that was ok for this one! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

In Belgium (dutch speaking part), more and more Repair CafĆ© groups are starting to organize live repair events again. I think 10 groups have started so far. I interviewed 5 of them to hear their experiences. They were all very positive. Most of them didnā€™ t work with registration on beforehand, one did.

You can read the article I drew form the interviews here. Itā€™s in dutch, but I guess an automatic translation can give a impression.

2 Likes

Hi @Frank ā€¦thanks for sharing this. Iā€™m just trying to work out if we can run some kind of events in 2021 and this is useful.

Can I ask how you do contactless donations? Weā€™ve only ever had cash in the past.
Clare

Glad it helps. :slight_smile:

I have a mobile card payment device (e.g. SumUp, iZettle, Square). Butā€¦ everyone is still doing cash donations so far!

Interesting Frank.

I was wondering if, now that people are comfortable with QR codes to ā€œcheck inā€ when they arrive (for those outside of the UK, our Track and Trace app has a simple ā€œcheck inā€ function), we could use a QR code to an easy donation page on the way outā€¦ especially for those who can make payments easily on their mobiles.

I was trying alternatives to cash donations before we locked down. What I did was set up a paypal account and put the pay me link in a QR code. I dident get any take up back then, but people will probably more willing now.

Interestingā€¦might investigate that, although I think weā€™ll still offer cash donations, and Iā€™ll just leave them in the pot and count it later in the week when itā€™s sat for a while.

1 Like

Given what we know about aerosols and the transmissibility of new variants, I think we should have some stronger guidance about PPE and ventilation.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested how on earth I should approach the challenge if any visitor or volunteer objects to masks/distancing to whatever the level is demanded by local legislation, or by government/regional ā€œguidanceā€ (as the UK government seems sometimes want to avoid being too risk-averse/prescriptive/heavy-handed - choose according to your viewpoint). I suppose Iā€™ll have to ensure visitors and volunteers accept the need to observe regulations before the event.

On more possibly-resolvable topics; cash: donā€™t fancy restricting visitors to electronic donations; 72 hours for covid to die: that would be a complete pain; one-way system: that would be impossible in our current venue; etc.

TBH it might be easier for me to get a gazebo/shelter and do one-person popup in our local town square - but thatā€™s likely to mean no mains electrical repairs, and obv. much lower capacity.

Very frustrating even this far ahead of a possible event: I donā€™t want us to be a drop-it-off repair service, I want to talk to visitors, want to try to educate a little bit if possible, and non-f2f would mean thatā€™s not possible.

So far we have not had a volunteer or visitor refuse to wear a mask or distancing - as long as you make it clear that it is part of the condition of entry (your event, your rules to make it safe for volunteers & visitors - to some extent). You can also make use of the rapid pharmacy tests for volunteers (noting their relative unreliability).

1 Like

The government recognises exemptions for some from wearing a mask (see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own#exemptions). You cannot discriminate against those using a legitimate exemption.

(Of course one who qualifies from an exemption should wear a mask of possible for them.)

1 Like

FYI Iā€™ve been shielding for the last year.

Itā€™s respecting both sides of the rights/risks conundrum thatā€™s worrying me: yes visitors can be exempt, yes volunteers can be exempt, but I donā€™t see how I can expect someone who isnā€™t prepared to be close to someone unmasked to be relatively close with someone whoā€™s exempt. So there has to be transparency before the event, I think.

How do you think this should work?

I donā€™t have a solution, unfortunately.

Even if a volunteer is happy to work with someone who is exempt and is not wearing a mask, in an enclosed space it can affect those at whatever distance depending on air flow.

I am exempt and find it difficult to wear a mask, but I also find it very important to do so and do wear one when indoor, however I avoid situation where I have to be indoor as much as possible.

I believe refusing access to those who are legitimately exempt and do not wear a mask is unlawful.

The only way I can see this working safely for all is outside with enough space to ensure reasonable distancing.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Panda - Iā€™m hoping weā€™ll all work this out somehow.

Bumping up this topic because Iā€™m curious to hear about peopleā€™s plans.

@Frank and @Margaret_Hersee, it looks like Marlow and Chesterfield Repair Cafes hosted events this month. How did it go for you? How did participants and volunteers react?

Weā€™re now looking to restart events in London, so itā€™d be great to learn from your experiences! :slight_smile: