Call out for Fixfest UK unconference

Hi Sophie

Thanks for joining in/appearing. Sounds like a good idea - it would be good for people who are super enthusiastic to get a realistic notion of what goes into these sort of enterprises, not just a sales pitch :wink:

Feel free to add/edit the main post above to add your session!

Janet

1 Like

Hi Janet

Thanksā€¦Yes sure I will make it warts and all :slight_smile: It is not so much intended as a sales pitch but to inspire others as to what is possible. But I do hope the learning Iā€™ve had can be useful to others to create more impact- thatā€™s the whole point of creating the network. I could also see if someone from Glasgow repair CafĆ© wants to do the workshop together as we are collaborating in Glasgow - what do you think? Open to all feedback!

Thanks

Sophie

1 Like

Hi Sophie,

This sounds great. Offering some practical advice with a healthy dose of inspiration fits our theme of hope nicely!

@Repair_Cafe_Glasgow are on the platform too - itā€™d be great to hear whether theyā€™d be up for helping too :slight_smile:

James

1 Like

I look forward to here more from this. we want to create one in Leicester. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Thanks! Hope I can help!

Hope sounds good! Yep. Iā€™m up for thatā€¦they definitely have practical skills I lack.

Iā€™ve added a suggestion on a short session to coordinate participation to International Repair Day - more info on this thread - perhaps we could run it together @isabel?

1 Like

great idea - definitely in!

1 Like

@Repair_Cafe_Glasgow, reckon youā€™d be up for helping @Sophie_Unwin run a session at Fixfest around how to set up a repair social enterprise?

I want to introduce Leicester Fixers and present our Outreach Programme in Leicestershire at the FixFest. Can I be added as a community keynote please. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Marie, this is great, we have slightly changed plans re the intro session but we will include you in our plans :slight_smile: we will probably message everyone separately.

As for a session idea, how about something along the lines of ā€œLeaving our city and helping spread repair in the countyā€? That way, other groups doing the same could share their experience too?

Good idea. Thanks. Is there anyone else who had the experience in reaching out into the county, so we can team up to run the session?

It could be helpful to publish some bullet points for the sessions and/or start discussions about them. Whatā€™s the best place for that? Will there be Etherpads or should we use Discourse - and if so which category/tag? It would be helpful to advertise now one mechanism for all the sessions to use.

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Helen and Iā€™m a research rather than repairer ā€“ at least for now :slight_smile: . Iā€™ve been researching 3D printers and repair for my MSc and one of my findings from speaking to makerspace members is that these groups would like to collaborate with restart project groups and repair cafes to repair stuff. From emails to repair centres and restart project groups I understand digital fabrication tools arenā€™t really used. So, two thoughts - if anyone would be interested in chatting to me about this Iā€™m happy to hear more from the restarters or repair cafe folks. Second, I see thereā€™s a request for collaboration with makerspaces, and I would be interested in running workshop where we could generate ideas on how the different communities could collaborate to encourage repair and extend product lifetimes.

Helen

Hi @Helen_Calderon, weā€™ve already got someone spearheading this workshop but Iā€™d be happy to connect you with him to see if that makes sense. Please email me at fixfest@therestartproject.org to get connected.
Are you in Manchester? We are inviting anyone who is not directly involved with organising community repair events but who is somehow involved with the movement of repair more peripherally to come to our social at the Pilcrow Pub from 18:00. Email me if you think you can come!

Hi Panda and all! James has really helpfully created a discussion on Discourse where people can leave comments during the day. Itā€™s not up yet but will be published right before the event starts.

I think itā€™s a cool idea to create new discussions on Discourse to share ideas to plan sessions. People can create those and use the tag /category #feedback as well as #fixfest-uk-2018.

Iā€™ve just created a space here for anyone to use, as needed: Sharing workshop ideas and resources for Fixfest 2018

Thank you. Iā€™ll wait for this to go up then as it makes more sense to have everything in only one place.

Makes sense, though I think they may have slightly different purposes. The one up before the event can be used for crowd-sourcing ideas for planning, and the one after for sharing resources and feedback. People can use as they like and if needed we can combine content :slight_smile:

Hi @Panda ,

Weā€™ve taken your suggestion on board and have now created an individual discussion for each Fixfest UK session (in the new #events:fixfest-uk-18 category). I think youā€™ve seen these already, but thatā€™s where weā€™ll be encouraging online conversation :slight_smile:

Thank you. Iā€™ve just updated the page for our session.

2 Likes