Poll: How long does it take to organise a repair event

As a number of us are starting to plan in-person repair events again (or have actually started running them), I’ve been thinking about how much time it takes to organise each event.

On the Fixometer, we estimate the number of hours volunteered at events based on events entered in the system and the number of people who RSVP to them. To help make this calculation, we assume that the organiser(s) spend(s) about 9 hours planning, organising and setting up for each in-person event.

Obviously this will be different for each group and depends on all kinds of factors, such as the size of the event, how long the group’s been running event, how many people help with organisation etc. I know when I’ve organised events, I’ve often spent more than 9 hours organising everything.

But I’m curious to hear other people’s experiences around this. So if you organise repair events…

How much time do you spend organising each in-person repair event (on average)?

• Less than 3 hours
  • Between 3 and 6 hours
  • Between 6 and 9 hours
  • More than 9 hours

0 voters

I thinking here about in-person events, but if you find that organising online repair events takes significantly more or less time, it would be interesting to hear about that too in any replies below :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to getting back to an average event :wink: Just organising our first one back for next Saturday and time spend on adjusting risk assessment, COVID measures, buying bits, briefing and retraining volunteers, creating a booking system and now dealing with all the enquires (we’ve got lots)…I’m glad I’m not counting how many hours I’m putting in this month!

2 Likes

I can imagine it being pretty full on this month Clare! Good to know you’re starting things up again though :slight_smile:
I’m sending out the Restart newsletter shortly - would you like me to include the event in the listings?

Yes, it’s on my list of things to do, to add the event to Restart…have timed out. Got to dash now as running a neighbourhood Jumble Trail tomorrow.

If you are able to grab the details from our website it’s here https://repaircafeportsmouth.wordpress.com/2021/06/09/were-back-with-a-few-changes/

If not, no worries, but it will be next week before I find time to add the next few events to Restart.

Clare

1 Like

@james - it’s been so long…remind me where we upload events on here? Having an overheated brain moment.

No worries @Clare_Seek, I’m struggling with the heat today too!
You can do that from the ‘Events’ page - just click the ‘Add Event’ button at the top right of the page. :slight_smile: