Error page "Whoops, looks like something went wrong." when adding a device

in-progress

#1

I just tried to add devices to a previous event, and on the first one, a simple lamp, after pressing the Add button, I was sent to a page with only the text “Whoops, looks like something went wrong.” in red, header size.

Data input used:
Category: Lamp.
Brand: not entered.
Model: not entered.
Age: not entered.
Description: gave a description, after going back to the page this was gone, but other fields filled in.
Status: Fixed, spare parts not needed.
Number: left as 1.
Edit: Filling in the Brand and Model fields with the blank option and “N/A” respectively did not solve the problem.

Error page source:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset=“UTF-8” />
<meta name=“robots” content=“noindex,nofollow” />
<style> body { background-color: #fff; color: #222; font: 16px/1.5 -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, “Segoe UI”, Roboto, “Helvetica Neue”, Arial, sans-serif; margin: 0; }
.container { margin: 30px; max-width: 600px; }
h1 { color: #dc3545; font-size: 24px; }</style>
</head>
<body>
<div class=“container”>
<h1>Whoops, looks like something went wrong.</h1>
</div>
</body>
</html>

My browser address bar content remained the same as the the party page that I was already on with (hash)devices on the end.


#2

Sorry about that @4ndy - from what you’ve described there everything should have been fine with adding that entry.

If I could get some extra info from you, that would be very helpful to debug the issue.

  • Which party was this for?
  • What browser and operating system were you using?
  • If you were to try again, do you get the same error?

Thanks!


#3

#4

Thanks for the extra info @4ndy.

The error page you describe is slightly different than usual, and I can’t see these specific errors in the logs, so this is an interesting one - will need a bit more delving into. I have tried to add a device to that event and it has worked successfully from my account.

Sorry about that - in the meantime I’d be more than happy to add the devices in for you if you’d like - just send them through to me in a message.


#5

Solution found: the form’s scripts were not loading due to a privacy setting -
In uMatrix, third-party javascript from maps.googleapis.com was blocked by default. Enabling this solved the problem.
I never would have expected this form to be run from Google’s maps server!
In hindsight I suppose that makes sense if you are tying this into location data, I would just personally prefer OpenStreetMap.


#6

Good catch @4ndy! Very strange for this to occur when logging a device - there is map-related code on that page for displaying the event location, but it shouldn’t interfere at all with the device logging. I’ve logged the specific issue here: https://github.com/TheRestartProject/restarters.net/issues/105 and we’ll get a fix in.

Also agreed about preferring OpenStreetMap - if we can recreate the geolocation functionality, I think we should switch to OSM. I’ll add a note in to the roadmap.