Can't work out how to make a user host of a group

resolved

Not sure whether this is a bug, missing feature or me not being able to work something out. In any case, I can’t seem to make a user a host for a particular group so that they have the ‘host’ badge and associated permissions, like this:

Group%20host%20badge

I’ve tried adjusting the users’ role, making sure they’re a Host and are assigned to the relevant group, but this doesn’t seem to have the effect of making them a host of that particular group:

Is this a bug? If not, is it possible to make users hosts of a group they didn’t create and how is that done?

A couple of examples:

@Frank (link) would like to be the host of his group Repair Café Marlow.

Maja of Restarters Oslo has reported having trouble creating an event, getting a 500 error (I assume because she’s not a host of that group):

Hi James,

I looked into this on Thursday. I haven’t been able to recreate the issue myself, I saw some code that I moved which should mitigate the issue. In theory, you shouldn’t be able to create an event for a group unless the volunteer of the group has that host tag (as per your first message).

We’re working on an update over the next few weeks to introduce the ability to ‘upgrade’ a volunteer to a host for a group.

It would be great to confirm whether those users are able to create an event now following the change I added on Friday morning.

Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean,

Thanks for this. I hadn’t realised the ability to ‘promote’ a user to host of a group hasn’t been added yet. This will be really useful, especially for a group like Restarters Oslo, where the current host (in a technical sense) is no longer active.

I’ll reach out to Maja and ask whether she’s now able to create an event for the Oslo group without having the host tag.

Cheers,
James

Hi @Dean_Claydon, an update on this:

Maja is still encountering the same error when trying to create an event:

EventCreationError

To clarify, Maja’s role is host in the system, but isn’t a tagged as a host of her group, Restarters Oslo.

Any idea why this is still happening?

This is a pretty critical issue, as it means events can’t be created by the group organiser. It would be great to find a resolution as soon as possible.

@Dean_Claydon we discovered an additional bug related to this specific point. In a group page, the host tag doesn’t appear next to hosts who didn’t select all 4 Organising skills when joining the new Fixometer. These hosts can (rightly) create events, but missing tag is confusing. This is for example true for Restarters Oslo - where Kaja is the only host at the moment, but the tag doesn’t appear next to her in their group page:

Thanks @ugo and @james.

I’ve got to the bottom of the host tag - that is now showing on the group. This may affect other historical groups - I just did a quick test and lots of existing users are classed as hosts. Is this correct? If so, I’ll update all groups.

This isn’t related to the original bug though - that’s just a visual defect. Maja has both a host role for that group and her user account (and has been since I was notified of this issue).

I’ve seen the latest error in the server logs and it’s the same as before. This is difficult for me to test as I am unable to recreate the issue but I have pushed another fix live which should hopefully resolve the problem as I’ve made some additional precautions.

Thanks

Dean

Thanks for the updates @Dean_Claydon

All users classed as hosts should have the “host tag” appear next to them in group view. The reason they don’t is because they didn’t select any skill when joining the new platform or (I guess) they haven’t logged in as of yet.

Unfortunately, this is not true. And that’s the key problem with this issue: Maja is a host in the system, however she is (still) not a host for Restarters Oslo. And therefore she can’t create events. Hosts can only create events for groups they’re host of. This links with the bug you’re working on, ability for hosts to add co-hosts

Maja’s case is urgent specifically because the only other host is not currently active - any chance this could be fixed for her urgently while you work on the bug?

Non-hosts see an edit group link on Dashboard

All users classed as hosts should have the “host tag” appear next to them in group view. The reason they don’t is because they didn’t select any skill when joining the new platform or (I guess) they haven’t logged in as of yet.

We used the existing data to retain the existing group roles. I have relaxed the rule for showing the tag on the live website so all hosts will now display with the appropriate tag.

Unfortunately, this is not true. And that’s the key problem with this issue: Maja is a host in the system, however she is (still) not a host for Restarters Oslo. And therefore she can’t create events. Hosts can only create events for groups they’re host of. This links with the bug you’re working on, ability for hosts to add co-hosts

An update will be available on Trello later today.

Maja’s case is urgent specifically because the only other host is not currently active - any chance this could be fixed for her urgently while you work on the bug?

Looking again at the data this morning I believe I’ve fixed Maja’s issue. She should now be able to create an event.

Thanks Dean, I’ve asked Maja to try again. Will report back once she’s had a chance to do so.

Maja’s reported back already! She can now create events, so the fix worked :+1:

Cheers, Dean

Excellent - thanks for this @Dean_Claydon!

A quick follow up @Dean_Claydon &/or @neil

Antonio Alessio “dikdust” Di Pinto has registered on restarters.net and his role is ‘host’ (because he selected the appropriate hosting skills during registration).

He’s joined the group Restarters Torino and would like to be a host of that group so he can start adding events. Is that possible yet? And if so, is it something the existing group hosts have to manage? Can I make him a group host as an admin?

Improving registration for Hosts

Not quite, it’s planned to be tomorrow morning, pending final updates and tests. If there’s any delays I’ll set up the users as hosts directly in the DB so they can get cracking with creating events.

Both hosts and admins will be able to set an existing member of a group as a new group host.

Great, thanks Neil!

I’m not around tomorrow or Monday. Once this this pushed through (or if it’s not), would you have time to make Antonio a host of Restarters Torino?

Hi @Antonio_Alessio_dikdust_D - I’ve set you as a host now for Restarters Torino :slight_smile:

You should be able to create events now - let us know how you get on.

Gj guys :slight_smile: Everything went smoothly, sorry for the late reply but I was in hurry for the last Restart Party (the 40° for us …)