Can I upload a spreadsheet to the fixometer?

🛠-in-development

I only seem to be able to find a single-row-at-a-time data entry page - is there anywhere can I upload a spreadsheet?

Hi Ian - this isn’t currently possible, but it is something we’ve talked about in the past. A number of groups who are new to the Fixometer have data going back years and would be interested in being able to upload it in bulk.

One of the hurdles we’d need to jump is finding a convenient way to map spreadsheet data to the structure of our database (e.g. deciding which Fixometer categories items in the spreadsheet belong to).

I’ve moved this discussion to the Feature Requests category so people can vote for it and we can discuss it further :slight_smile:

Do you have a spreadsheet for an event that you’d be able to share @Ian_Barnard? As @james says the mapping of the data in the spreadsheet to the DB structure is the main part that needs figuring out, so learning how your spreadsheet looks will help :+1:

I will also ping @Stephan_Fortelny / @Restarters_Barcelona here as I know it is something Restarters BCN have been interested in, and we looked at it briefly together before.

Also relevant to @Sarah_Maloy in Nottingham, because I know that they experimented with logging repairs via a Google Form / Spreadsheet.

Bringing in @Chris_Moller who’s also expressed an interest in this

I’ll put something short together.

I’m not imagining anything very complicated - the spreadsheet would have exactly the same columns as the data entry page. You can make a cell have a dropdown list of values populated from another sheet - that could work for category, brand, model - could you generate a template spreadsheet for download fairly often so it follows the database updates as new brands etc. get added?

@catherine_causley and @Ruth_Leonard-Williams may be interested in this too.

Hi all, we have used a google form for checking people in at the last two events. This means if folks consent to us adding their email address to our mailing list I can collect them more easily by saving as a CSV file and uploading into Mailchimp. Regarding the fixometer, our fixers record have form which has fixometer aligned questions on it and then have to enter them manually.

The import definitely becomes much more straightforward when the spreadsheet exactly matches the data entry page (in both structure and available values). (In the past the discussion has been around the scenario where the data in the spreadsheet is slightly different in some way, hence the mapping step.) We’d still need to do validation of the data in the spreadsheet at the point of import etc but removing the ‘mapping’ step simplifies things a lot.

In this scenario though - (download spreadsheet, fill in, upload) - if we are collecting the data in a spreadsheet in the exact Fixometer format, what would be the reason for adding download and upload steps? (e.g. is it just easier to use a spreadsheet for data entry?)

Thanks for that insight @Sarah_Maloy - let us know if you have any requests/insights related to bulk upload of data, but sounds like at the moment you are ok with data entry as is?

Also just reminding that now, fixers affiliated with your group can now help complete the “Comment” field, adding valuable information after the event. (Sometimes it’s hard to fully transcribe or get all down.) You can invite your groups fixers to contribute via the event page to help out - via the “Event actions” menu on the top right

Just to add some context to this - I understand some groups have data in spreadsheets going back years, so would ideally be looking for a tool to ‘convert’ the structure of their tables to the Fixometer’s.

Also noting that individual repairs are also associated with individual events, so we’d need to think about how/whether to add event data (even if it’s just a date).

I’d assumed I would upload a spreadsheet onto the specific event page (much like manually adding individual items).

Also, my reason for downloading the latet template to fill in would be because that will make it much easier to use existing brand/model data that is already in the DB - otherwise there are more problems with mis-spelling and aligning the import with what is already there. I guess my usecase is for new data that I can more easily enter into a spreadsheet using the values from the DB.

Hi,

The Cambridge group of Repair Cafés (now about 16 locations) log repair statistics using the spreadsheet attached. We now have almost 1000 data points. The
focus of this is intentionally technical, rather than demographic or social. (I know James has a backlog task to find a way to integrate this with the Fixometer.)

I have a PowerPoint presentation that shows the results graphically. It needs updating with the latest data, but meanwhile here’s a graphic from it to stimulate
discussion!

Best regards,

Chris

(Attachment Repairer Recording Sheet V4.xlsx is missing)

Hi,

The Cambridge group of Repair Cafés (now about 16 locations) log repair statistics using the spreadsheet attached (as a PDF – ask me if you want an Excel spreadsheet).
We now have almost 1000 data points. The focus of this is intentionally technical, rather than demographic or social. (I know James has a backlog task to find a way to integrate this with the Fixometer.)

I have a PowerPoint presentation that shows the results graphically. It needs updating with the latest data, but meanwhile here’s a graphic from it to stimulate
discussion!

cid:image003.jpg@01D4D1C7.5EF971D0

Best regards,

Chris

Repairer Recording Sheet V4.pdf (203 KB)

This is fascinating @Chris_Moller - would love to discuss it more, would you be able to start a new topic in our Repair Data category?

Hi Neil,

This is done – topic Cambridge Area Repair Café Statistics. I have also updated the statistics with all the latest data. Interestingly, the repairability
of Apple products has improved in the last year – but of course that might be because we’re getting cleverer at it!
J

Chris

Following on from this discussion, @ssebti & @Nebojsa_Adzic (INSERTECH, Montréal) and Vita (@Culture_of_Repair, Berkley) have also indicated that a template spreadsheet that can be downloaded, populated and then uploaded to event pages would be useful.

In the case of INSERTECH, it sounds like having a spreadsheet for offline use would make data collection easier and allow it to be done at the event more often. Is that right @Nebojsa_Adzic?

For my own use preparing data for manual entry into the Fixometer I’ve created an example template using scraped values from the fixometer data entry page (these are stored in the Reference Data sheet). When entering data on the Event Record sheet you can override the Category and Brand (this is configurable when you set data validation on a cell), but others are restricted to the provided values. Of course this template only reflects the values in the fixometer today, so as brands get added this template will have to be updated manually :frowning: but hopefully it will be useful.

See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kf4nXDmiUxdTDPXVCnoohhSodH1yrgUZsl78OAblTVc/edit?usp=sharing

This link lets you view/comment, if you want to get your own copy and you can’t get it from Drive let me know I’ll share an excel file version, or something.

Some minor things I had to amend in what I scraped - added 0 to the spare parts quantity, added N/A to repair details and Barrier, sorted the Brand list.

Also, what does ‘do it yourself’ in the repair details mean?

@james @neil would a halfway-house to full spreadsheet upload be to provide a data entry page which has a table (i.e. with all the columns immediately visible/pastable, i.e. columns don’t appear if I put repairable into Repair Status), so that I can just copy/paste from my spreadsheet into the form onto multiple rows, then submit all at once? If I could do that I wouldn’t need spreadsheet upload.

Hi Ian,

Thanks loads for this - the template you’ve put together looks great.

By ‘do it yourself’, we mean that the owner of the item plans to make the repair themselves after the event (perhaps they just needed some advice, info on spare parts etc).

Interesting suggestion re: the halfway house solution. This is probably one for @neil, who is leading on the technical side of this.

That’s great, thanks for sharing @Ian_Barnard

@Monique is currently working on this - here’s a copy of the template we’re working on, which can pull in the latest brands etc from the database. Once populated we can then create SQL statements to insert the data for a particular event, based on id we’ll put in the spreadsheet name. As you can see there’s a nice overlap between what you have created and the template here, good to see!